Monday, September 19, 2011

prepping for preschool

Last week I sent my middle son off to preschool. He was super excited. What could be better than playing with friends, reading stories, making crafts and eating a snack? Geez, I wish I could go to preschool too!



Preschool is often the first major experience that a child has away from home, and also in a classroom setting. Sometimes we wonder as parents if we have done enough to prep our children for such a big experience. Early childhood education is a big deal! I hope I have prepared my son well enough. I think the most important thing I have done is to read to him. We hear so much about reading to our children and how important it is for early literacy. We love reading books in our house. My son also loves to go to the library and pick out books to read together. It can be such a fun experience and I feel good knowing it is also helping him to learn and get a start with reading.

Another thing I think has been a help in prepping him for preschool is letting him make some of his own decisions. He needs to learn some independence so I make sure I give him opportunities throughout the day to make activity, food and clothing choices so he feels a sense of confidence in doing things on his own. Learning to share, cooperate and treat others with kindness are also big lessons.

I’m curious to know: What advice do you have for moms prepping for preschool? KinderCare will choose one lucky participant and make donation in their name to the Reach Out And Read chapter of their choice!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of KinderCare. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Contest Rules.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs